Learn About Other Writing Careers
Materials in the CDC Resource Library
- 100 Best Careers for Writers and Artists, by Shelly Field
Covers TV news writer, press agent, sports writer, literary agent, speechwriter, entertainment reviewer, scenic designer, make-up artist, animator, fashion illustrator, police artist
- Becoming a Freelance Writer, by Bill Harris
What a freelance writer is and how you become one
- Career Opportunities for Writers, by Rosemary Ellen Guiley
100 writing jobs, industry outlook, descriptions, salaries, skills, and organizations
- Careers for Bookworms & Other Literary Types, by Marjorie Eberts & Margaret Gisler
Dozens of jobs for people who like to work with words including: libraries, publishing houses, newspapers, think tanks, bookstores, etc. Profiles of people and how they got where they are, what they like and don't like about their work.
- Complete Guide to Writers Groups, Conferences, and Workshops, by Eileen Malone
Directory of 400 conferences, courses, seminars and workhops
- A Field Guide for Science Writers, by Deborah Blum & Mary Knudson
Topics range from scientific journals to newspapers and magazines. Covers all fields of science and health.
- Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write, by Elizabeth Lyon
Two dozen actual proposals. Choosing a topic based on current trends. Resource information on market guides, literary agents, writers and editors.
- Tech Writer’s Survival Guide, by Janet Van Wickle
Handbook for aspiring technical writers. Detailed advice on researching, writing, and editing. Tips on finding and job and much more.
- Writing Treatments That Sell, by Kenneth Atchity & Chi-Li Wong
Create and market your story ideas to the motion picture and TV industry. Include key elements such as conflict, likeable characters, plot twists, a climax, and visual drama.
- Vault Career Library
Free access to Vault publications provided by the CDC, using your Stanford email address. Career Profile of Writer and Freelance Writer. Vault Guide to Screenwriting Careers PDF book.
- Writers and Editors, from the Occupational Outlook Handbook
Discusses the nature of the work, working conditions, job outlook, earnings and qualifications. Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Glossary of Writing Careers
Includes ideas such as Acquisitions Editor, Gag Writer, Speechwriter, and more.
- Guide to Careers in Science Writing
Who they are, what they do, and how you become one.
- Pay Scales and Jobs for English Majors
Unusual site listing pay scales for popular jobs for English majors.
Networking and Professional Organizations
- Stanford CareerConnect
Visit the Stanford Alumni Association's networking hub, CareerConnect.
This online database can help you locate alumni who have volunteered to
be information sources regarding their career field and employer.
- Society for Technical Communication (STC)
Regional seminars and annual conference, scholarship and grant information, jobs and articles on careers.
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
Student web site with articles and tips. There are regional chapters, conferences, seminars, and job listings.
- American Medical Writer's Association
Annual conferences and local regional chapters.
- National Association of Science Writers
List of local science writing groups, annual conference, and advice for beginning science writers.
- Editorial Freelancers Association
Local chapter meetings, membership directory, members-only email
discussion list, job list service, newsletter, publications, online
education courses, and other programs.
Job and Internship Listings
back to top