Transcripts are required from every college/university you have attended for at least one year as a full-time student.

To submit your transcript(s), follow both these steps:

  1. Upload the scanned transcript(s) into the on-line application. Please see the transcript upload information in the File Upload Requirements section for specific instructions.
  2. Arrange for two sets of official transcripts to be sent by the institution to the department to which you are applying. An "official" transcript is one that is sent to Stanford directly from the college/university and is signed and sealed by their registrar or is sent by secure electronic delivery.
    • See mailing address information and then find the program's address by clicking on the name of the program in the list of Graduate Programs.
    • The use of secure electronic delivered transcript(s) is encouraged. It's eco-friendly and the document's certified digital signature ensures us that it has been prepared by the college/university and that the document is original and unaltered. If you submit a secure electronic transcript, you will not need to provide the paper transcript(s). Please check with the registrar's office of your college/university to see if they provide secure electronic certified transcript service.

eTranscript Service

eTranscript Service within the graduate application is available to current Stanford students and alumni who have active SUNet IDs. We encourage you to use this eco-friendly service, since paper transcripts will not be required. See instructions in the application.

CollegeNet China Credential Service

Applicants from Chinese institutions are encouraged to use the China credential service within the graduate application to request and submit CHESICC authenticated transcript(s). This service is eco-friendly and provides validated documents to the department to which you are applying.

For more details, see CollegeNet China Credential Service.

U.S. Academic Credentials

Transcripts must bear the official seal of the institution and the signature of the Registrar.

International Academic Credentials

Stanford’s assessment of a foreign degree is based on the characteristics of a national educational system, the type of institution attended, and the level of studies completed. The following guidelines indicate the minimum level of study required of applicants from recognized academic institutions outside the U.S.

Britain British patterned education – bachelor’s degree with honors.
France Diplome d’Ingenieur from grandes écoles or completion of two years of classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles (CPGE) and two years of course work toward the Diplome d’Ingenieur degree. Maitrise from universities.
Germany The diplom, magister artium (M.A.) or staatsexamen. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted
Other European countries University degree requiring four years of study.
Middle East University degree requiring four years of study.
Canada Three-year bachelor’s degree from Quebec, four-year bachelor’s degree from other provinces.
Latin America University degree requiring four years of study.
India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, master’s degree in all other fields. (Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.
Philippines Four-year bachelor’s degree.
Russian republics University diploma requiring four years of study. Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor’s degree accepted (requires the Diploma Supplement issued in accordance to the Bologna Declaration).
Other Asian countries University degree requiring four years of study.

*Requires the Diploma Supplement issued in accordance to the Bologna Declaration.

Note to International Applicants

  • Academic records should give detailed information on the content and quality of your performance, courses taken each year, and grades received. The grading scale of the institution and your rank in class should be noted whenever possible.
  • Degrees must be verified by official copies of diplomas or conferral statements on academic records.
  • Academic records must be original documents bearing the institutional seal and official signature of the Registrar or copies verified by a school administrative officer.
  • If the institution does not issue records in English, original language records must be submitted with official English translations. We accept translations issued by the institution or a professional translating service. Translations must be literal and complete versions of the original records.

The University reserves the right to require additional academic documents. If we are unable to verify the nature or authenticity of your academic documents, we may ask you to obtain an evaluation from a foreign credential evaluation service.