Q. Do I need to take the Graduate Record Examination?
- A: All applicants to departmental graduate programs at Stanford must take the GRE. Some departments require additional subject tests, and a few non-M.D. programs in the School of Medicine allow applicants to submit MCAT scores in lieu of GRE scores. Consult department web sites or the Graduate Programs page for departmental requirements. Please arrange to take the test early to ensure that your scores reach us by the application deadline.
- Applicants to the School of Law, School of Business and M.D. program take the LSAT, GMAT and MCAT, respectively.
Q. Do I need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
- A: Scores are required of all applicants whose first language is not English.
- Exemptions are granted to applicants who have earned a U.S. bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States, or the international equivalent degree from a university of recognized standing in a country in which all instruction is provided in English. Therefore, applicants with degrees from the U.S., Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, Singapore, and the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales) are exempt from taking the TOEFL and do not need to submit the TOEFL Waiver Request form.
- Applicants with degrees from institutions in countries other than those listed above and in which English was the only language of instruction must submit the TOEFL Waiver Request form in order to be evaluated for a waiver to the TOEFL requirement.This exception does not apply if the courses were completed in a country where English is spoken but not all courses were provided in English.
- Being a U.S. citizen does not automatically exempt an applicant from taking the TOEFL; if the applicant’s first language is not English, the applicant must meet the exception above or submit TOEFL scores. Stanford does not accept IELTS scores.
Q. Where should I have my GRE and/or TOEFL scores sent?
- A: Applicants should have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send scores electronically to Stanford. Our university code is 4704. It does not matter what department code is specified. You will either self-report your scores or indicate the date you will take the test(s) in the online application. Self-reported scores will not be considered official until Stanford receives the electronic record.
Q. My GRE/TOEFL scores are not recent. Will you accept them?
- A: GRE scores are valid for approximately five years from the date taken. TOEFL scores submitted to Stanford must be from a test taken within the last 18 months. No scores are valid beyond the date ETS will send or resend them to schools.