On this page:
- How can I have my financial aid funds apply to all charges on my University bill instead of just to some charges?
- Why isn't my financial aid automatically applied to all charges already?
- What types of financial aid can be applied to other charges on my University bill?
- What are some advantages of granting permission to have aid applied to all charges on my university bill?
- Can I grant permission to apply my aid to certain types of charges but not to other types of charges?
- Can my authorized payer in Stanford ePay grant permission on my behalf?
- If I grant permission, but then change my mind, what should I do?
- Do I need to grant permission again for each new academic year?
- I have further questions about granting permission. Where should I go?
How can I have my financial aid funds apply to all charges on my University bill instead of just to some charges?
Students can authorize Student Financial Services to apply their financial aid funds to all current quarter charges on their University bill via a feature in AXESS called "Student Permissions".
- View full text of the Student Permissions Agreement.
- For instructions, see Quick Steps: Grant Permission to Apply Financial Aid Funds to All Current Quarter Charges on My University Bill.
In most cases, financial aid is automatically applied to certain charges. However, some types of charges cannot be automatically paid with financial aid funds because these expenses are not included in the standard Cost of Attendance used by the Financial Aid Office. Examples include late study list fees, dorm damage fees and early arrival housing fees. However, if you grant permission, your financial aid funds will be applied to all of these charges in the current quarter.
Most types of federal, state, institutional and outside financial aid disbursements can be applied, with your permission, to all current quarter charges on your University bill. The exception is Federal Parent PLUS Loans. These loan funds belong to the parent borrower, not to the student. Currently parent borrowers are not able to grant permission.
What are some advantages of granting permission to have aid applied to all current quarter charges on my University bill?
Sometimes, students receive refunds from Student Financial Services even when there is still a balance due on the University bill. This can be confusing and frustrating for students. Granting permission to have aid applied to all current quarter charges on your University bill allows the refund to be directly applied to remaining charges in the current quarter, resulting in a zero balance for the current quarter before a refund is issued.
Can I grant permission to apply my aid to certain types of charges but not to other types of charges?
No. Granting permissions authorizes the application of aid to ALL charges on your University bill. However, if an individual charge is later reduced or removed from your bill, and that charge had been paid with aid funds, you will receive a refund for the amount of the reduction.
No. This feature can only be used by students.
You should submit a HelpSU ticket stating that you wish to withdraw your permission. You cannot withdraw your permission directly via AXESS.
No. Once you grant permission, your authorization remains in place indefinitely, unless you withdraw it.
You can contact the Student Services Center by submitting a HelpSU ticket or calling 1-650-723-7772. Information is also available from the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or 1-650-723-3058.