Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Taking Care of Ourselves & Each Other

Vaccination Requirement and FAQs

Main content start

All students coming to campus are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In addition, booster shots are required.

Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line

COVID-19 Guidance for Students

In order to keep Stanford as healthy and safe as possible for in-person learning and activities, students are expected to follow all university public health requirements at all times and stay updated by regularly checking the COVID guidance webpage for any updates.

Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line

Top Questions

  • Where can I get vaccinated? Go to VaccineFinder to help identify providers who offer COVID-19 vaccines locally. 
  • Where do I upload my vaccination record? Upload your record to the Vaden patient portal
  • How can I submit my request for a medical exemption? Use this form for a medical exemption.
  • Will Stanford accept a mixed vaccine? For example, some countries are mixing AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna. We will decide on a case-by-case basis. Please submit this form.
  • What about my family members? Vaccinations are also recommended for spouses, partners and children. Vaccination resources are here.
Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line


  • Are COVID-19 vaccinations required for students? Stanford requires all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. We will help arriving international students obtain a vaccination if they have been unable to obtain one at their home location, and we will accommodate those who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. Vaden vaccination resources are listed here.
  • Are students currently living outside the United States required to get a vaccine that is approved in the United States by the FDA? We recommend that students get vaccinated as soon as they can with whatever vaccine is available to them. We will offer revaccination to students, if that becomes necessary, after they arrive at Stanford. The Vaden COVID Care Team can provide more information on these types of arrangements via the Vaden patient portal.
  • Are COVID-19 vaccinations required for non-student partners, spouses and children? COVID-19 vaccinations for non-student partners and spouses living in RD&E-assigned housing are strongly recommended but not required.
Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line

Submitting Your Immunization Record

  • What is needed to prove that I am vaccinated? Students vaccinated in the United States should upload their CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. Students vaccinated outside the United States are permitted to upload documentation from other countries.
  • How do I submit my immunization record? Sign in to the Vaden patient portal and follow the instructions to upload a copy of your documentation and enter the dates of vaccination(s). 
  • Why is Health Check also asking for COVID vaccination information? Responding to this question in Health Check is necessary to confirm your vaccination status and to help inform testing compliance of your assigned surveillance testing cadence
Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line

Extensions for Students Unable to Get Vaccinated in Their Home Locations

  • What do I do if I cannot get vaccinated in my home location? Will I receive an extension so that I can register for classes? We will help arriving students obtain their vaccinations if they have been unable to obtain one at their home location. Students in this situation must request an extension, but they will need to be vaccinated immediately upon their arrival on campus and adhere to testing and other potential public health requirements until their vaccinations are fully effective. You may request an extension here. More information on vaccination providers in the United States is here.
Neighborhood Gradient Accent Line

Exemptions for Medical and Religious Reasons

  • What do I do if I cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19 for medical or religious reasons? We will accommodate students who cannot take the vaccine for medical or religious reasons. Students in this situation must request an exemption and, if approved, will be required to undergo regular COVID-19 testing and other potential public health requirements. The medical exemption form is here. The religious exemption form is here.
  • What do I do if I do not want to be vaccinated? Who do I inform and how? Exemptions, for other than approved medical and religious reasons, are not accepted for the required vaccinations.