What to do when your roommate, apartment-mate or suitemate tests positive
Guidance for sharing living spaces.
If you are sharing housing with a student who tests positive and everyone has private bedrooms, the student who tests positive will isolate in their room and everyone is advised to:
- Stay inside your bedrooms with doors closed as much as possible.
- Wear face coverings except when in the bathroom, eating, or in your bedroom.
- Avoid entering the bathroom within 15 minutes of your apartment-mates.
- Disinfect the bathroom and kitchen as often as possible.
- Eat in separate rooms.
- Avoid sharing personal items.
- Students who test positive should avoid using the laundry room.
- Healthy students should review the information below to determine if you are a high or lower-risk close contact, and then follow the guidance below.
Shared Sleeping Space
If you are COVID-negative student sharing a sleeping space with a COVID-positive student, please consider these options:
- Remaining in place, if the room configuration supports it.
- Moving to a COVID-negative friend’s room temporarily.
- Temporarily moving to a vacant room or off-campus hotel space reserved by the university. If you would like to temporarily move, contact Undergraduate Student Support at 650-505-3682.
Please care for yourself and everyone around you.