Welcome! We are beginning the special circumstances housing process with the expectation that Stanford will welcome frosh, sophomores, first-year transfers, and special circumstances students to campus for summer quarter as previously announced. Additionally, we may offer campus housing to juniors and seniors without special circumstances as specified below.
Please take a moment to review the information on this webpage to evaluate your eligibility for campus housing.
Requests for special circumstances must be submitted by 6 p.m. PDT, Sunday, April 25.
- We are committed to housing all frosh, sophomores and first-year transfers enrolled full time or engaged in a full-time Stanford-funded Extended Learning Opportunity (ELO), Stanford-funded internship or Stanford-funded employment during their Flex Term. If you are in this group and you plan to live on campus this summer, you do not need to request special circumstances housing. Simply submit a housing application in Axess. You will be able to do this beginning April 26.
- Financial aid is available for students who are enrolled full-time. The summer quarter financial aid application is here. Financial aid is not available for students on a Flex Term. Therefore, students living on campus during a Flex Term must use earnings from their ELO, internship or employment or other personal resources to cover housing fees.
Juniors and Seniors
Who is eligible to live in summer housing and how do we apply?
- Juniors and seniors who were previously approved for special circumstances housing must re-apply for summer quarter. Special circumstances include international students who may face travel or visa complications; students experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity; students with home environments that prevent them from being able to participate in a remote learning environment or are unsafe; and other special needs.
- Juniors and seniors who are eligible to live on campus this summer but do not have special circumstances SHOULD NOT submit a special circumstances application. Residential and Dining Enterprises (R&DE) will be sending information about the summer housing assignment process to students next week. That's when you will apply, and then wait for a response, based on availability.
Who cannot live in summer housing?
- Any undergraduate students who have graduated (conferred their degree) by the end of spring quarter 2021.
- Any undergraduate student on a leave of absence.
What should co-terms do?
- Seniors who will enroll at Stanford in 2021-22 to complete their co-terminal degrees are strongly encouraged to apply for summer graduate housing and 2021-22 housing through the Graduate Housing Lottery, which is taking place now. Graduate housing applications are due Thursday, May 6. See the Graduate Housing Lottery website for more information.
How do I apply for special circumstances?
- If you are eligible based on the criteria above, complete this special circumstances application.
What do I do if I do not have special circumstances but am eligible for summer housing?
- Residential and Dining Enterprises will be sending information about the summer housing assignment process to students next week.
Where do I go with questions?
- Have a question about special circumstances eligibility? Submit a SNOW ticket here.