Vaccination Requirement and FAQs
All students coming to campus this autumn are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
In order to keep Stanford as healthy and safe as possible for in-person learning and activities, students are expected to follow all university public health requirements at all times and stay updated by regularly checking the COVID guidance webpage for any updates.
- Where can I get vaccinated? Go to VaccineFinder to help identify providers who offer COVID-19 vaccines locally.
- Where do I upload my vaccination record? Upload your record to the Vaden patient portal.
- How can I submit my request for a medical exemption? Use this form for a medical exemption.
- What is the deadline to upload my vaccination record? The deadline has passed. If you did not meet the deadline, Vaden Health Services will place a hold on your Axess account that will prevent you from registering for fall quarter classes. Submit questions specific to your circumstances here.
- Will Stanford accept a mixed vaccine? For example, some countries are mixing AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna. We will decide on a case-by-case basis. Please submit this form.
- What about my family members? Vaccinations are also recommended for spouses, partners and children aged 12 years and older. Vaccination resources are here.
Requirements and Deadlines
- Are COVID-19 vaccinations required for students? Stanford will require all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students coming to campus this fall to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. We will help arriving students obtain a vaccination if they have been unable to obtain one at their home location, and we will accommodate those who cannot take the vaccine for religious or medical reasons. Vaccination resources are listed here.
- Are students currently living outside the United States required to get a vaccine that is approved in the United States by the FDA? We recommend that students get vaccinated as soon as they can with whatever vaccine is available to them. We will offer revaccination to students, if that becomes necessary, after they arrive at Stanford. We are working on these arrangements and will provide more information later.
- Are COVID-19 vaccinations required for non-student partners, spouses and children? COVID-19 vaccinations for non-student partners and spouses living in RD&E-assigned housing are strongly recommended but not required.
Submitting Your Immunization Record
What is needed to prove that I am vaccinated? Students vaccinated in the United States should upload their CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. Students vaccinated outside the United States are permitted to upload documentation from other countries.
How do I submit my immunization record? Sign in to the Vaden patient portal and follow the instructions to upload a copy of your documentation and enter the dates of vaccination(s).
Why is Health Check also asking for COVID vaccination information? Responding to this question in Health Check is unrelated to meeting the university’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement.
Extensions for Students Unable to Get Vaccinated in Their Home Locations
- What do I do if I cannot get vaccinated in my home location? Will I receive an extension so that I can register for classes? We will help arriving students obtain their vaccinations if they have been unable to obtain one at their home location. Students in this situation must request an extension, but they will need to be vaccinated immediately upon their arrival on campus and adhere to testing and other potential public health requirements until their vaccinations are fully effective. You may request an extension here. More information on vaccination providers in the United States is here.
Exemptions for Medical Reasons
- What do I do if I cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19 for medical reasons? We will accommodate students who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. Students in this situation must request an exemption and, if approved, will be required to undergo regular COVID-19 testing and other potential public health requirements. The medical exemption form is here.
- What do I do if I do not want to be vaccinated? Who do I inform and how? Exemptions, for other than medical reasons, are not accepted for the required vaccinations.