Student and Academic Services
Photograph by Juliana Golden
Associate Vice Provost for Student and Academic Services and University Registrar
Tel: (866) 993-7772 Toll-Free for the Main Office or (650) 723-7772
Johanna Metzgar joined Stanford as associate vice provost for student and academic services and university registrar in May 2018. Before joining Stanford, she served as associate registrar at the University of California, Berkeley. She brought more than 20 years of experience in student services at Cal as well as Columbia University, where she worked for 10 years, serving as associate director for the institution’s Division of Student Services and as acting executive director of student services at Columbia’s Medical School. She also served as an associate registrar, assistant registrar, and financial aid officer at Columbia. Metzgar earned a master’s degree in public administration at Columbia University and holds a bachelor’s degree in communications with a minor in journalism from San Francisco State University.
Student and Academic Services supports every student, faculty member, and academic and student affairs staff member on campus. We support teaching and learning at Stanford by maintaining and developing effective systems and applications, engaging directly with students, faculty, and administrative staff, and collaborating with academic offices and administrative units across campus. We administer hundreds of key operations, transactions, and processes to ensure student success, equity of access, and the integrity of a Stanford education.
Offices of Student and Academic Services
- University Registrar's Office - Supports teaching and learning at Stanford by maintaining the integrity of academic policies and the student information system. The Registrar’s Office is the steward of Stanford’s student records from application to degree conferral in perpetuity.
- Graduate Admissions - Serves as the administrative gateway for Stanford’s prospective and new incoming graduate students and their admitting schools/departments/programs.
- Student Financial Services (SFS) - Manages the University’s billing and payment of student tuition and fees, and leads the University’s financial literacy program for students.
- Student Information Systems - Maintains Stanford student systems, including Axess, standalone operational enhancements, and system integrations of data throughout Student Affairs, with an emphasis on cohesiveness, collaboration, and system sustainability.
- Student Services Center (SSC) - Enriches the student experience through collaborative outreach, innovative solutions, and by educating and empowering staff.
- Office for Military-Affiliated Communities (OMAC) - Supports campus veterans and dependents in the areas of financial stability, medical/mental health, social support, academics, and employment.
- Bechtel International Center - Responsible for ensuring institutional compliance with federal immigration regulations, supports and advises international students, scholars, and families regarding immigration and visa issues, advises Stanford students pursuing scholarships abroad, and provides opportunities to increase international awareness and understanding on campus..