Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Taking Care of Ourselves & Each Other

Main content start

Resources for DACA and undocumented students

Helping students prepare in anticipation of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling.


However the Supreme Court rules, can DACA students continue to reside in Stanford housing? 

Yes. A student’s immigration status is not considered when determining housing eligibility.

However the Supreme Court rules, will DACA students who are covered by Cardinal Care health insurance retain coverage?

Yes. Coverage is available to all enrolled students. 


What would the university’s response be if ICE were to come to campus in order to contact an undocumented student or seek records about a student?

Any Stanford office that receives a request for information from an immigration enforcement agency should route that request to the Office of General Counsel so that they can determine whether or not the university needs to respond to the request. The university keeps student and personnel records private and will not share such information with immigration agencies unless legally compelled to do so. Students are advised to check their privacy settings in AXESS, which is linked to the StanfordWho online directory. Here’s how students can update their privacy settings.

What is the Stanford Department of Public Safety’s (DPS’) role in immigration enforcement?

DPS does not have responsibility for immigration enforcement. Consistent with the approach of law enforcement agencies in Santa Clara County, it does not inquire about immigration status in the normal course of its duties and will not participate with other agencies in immigration enforcement activities unless legally required to do so.

If I am a student currently away from the Stanford campus and have questions about what to do if I’m approached by an immigration enforcement agency, what information is available?

The Immigrant Legal Resource Center offers these “know your rights” materials on its website



Where can students go for legal help?

Any Stanford student who would like to explore legal options regarding their undocumented status can contact Bechtel International Center at for a referral. The center can facilitate scheduling a free consultation with an attorney through the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic of Stanford Law School. 

DACA and undocumented students with questions about domestic and international travel are encouraged to seek guidance from immigration attorneys, through Bechtel as needed.

Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, a frequent community partner with the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, can provide a free consultation to other members of our community, such as students who have a concern for an undocumented family member. The phone number to call to reach CLSEPA is 650-326-6440.

External links to “know your rights” information, while not a substitute for legal guidance, also are available for those with questions about their rights when contacted by immigration enforcement officials.

Additional external resources also are available on the website of the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic of Stanford Law School.


Where can students go for financial help?

Undergraduate students can contact Ron Diaz in the Financial Aid Office. In addition, the Financial Aid Office has posted information on this website

Graduate students can contact their Departments and Schools. Contact information is posted here.

Other sources of support include The Opportunity Fund and the Emergency Grant-In-Aid Fund.   


Where can students go for help with health and well-being?

Counseling and Psychological Services stands in solidarity with our DACA students and is ready to provide support to any students affected by this decision.

CAPS is offering individual consultation hours to all students affected by recent events. To access this support from any location, students can call CAPS (650-723-3785) from 9 a.m - 4 p.m. PDT, Monday-Friday.

On-call counselors are also available 24/7 at the same number for any urgent mental health needs

For students outside California, CAPS is researching ongoing care options in various regions of the country. Students are encouraged to reach out to CAPS as above for a personalized consultation.

For students who prefer to find local resources on their own, the CAPS referrals page has additional information on how to search for care.

Well-Being at Stanford stands in solidarity with our DACA students and is offering additional coaching sessions for students who may be impacted by this decision. To sign up for an appointment, students are asked to visit this coaching page


Where can students go for help navigating enrollment, registration or other academic issues relating to their status? 

Undergraduate students can contact their Academic Advising Director (AAD) or, for student athletes, the Athletic Academic Resource Center (AARC).

Graduate students can contact Graduate Admissions ( for help, in addition to their Departments and Schools. 


Where can students go for help with navigating all of these matters, or with questions beyond those mentioned above?

For further assistance, please contact Dean of Students Mona Hicks at 650-723-2733 or

Our Centers for Equity, Community and Leadership are open and available to support all students. You’ll find contact information for our community centers here.

The professional staff of El Centro Chicano y Latino works closely with the campus partners listed above and can serve as another point of contact for all students who would like to know more about specific resources for undocumented students. Feel free to reach out to Elvira Prieto, Margaret Sena, or Jacob Velásquez. 

Residence Deans can accompany undergraduates through this process starting now.  More information and virtual drop-in hours are posted on the RD website. Students in need of immediate crisis support can contact the Residence Dean On-Call at 650-504-8022. 

Graduate students can contact the Graduate Life Office Dean at 650-736-7078 or To reach a GLO Dean urgently, students can email the GLO pager at, or call 650-723-7288 and provide the operator with pager ID# 25085.


How is Stanford advocating for undocumented students? 

Stanford has actively supported the DREAM Act legislation since its introduction in 2001, which would enable undocumented students to continue their education and apply for citizenship.

Stanford is among the hundreds of colleges and universities that have advocated in support of DACA. In August 2017, President Marc Tessier-Lavigne sent a further letter to the White House encouraging the continuation of DACA.

Following the federal administration’s Sept. 5, 2017, announcement about DACA, Stanford has renewed its call for Congress to expeditiously pass legislation to provide permanent residence and a path to citizenship for our country’s DREAMers. The university will continue to be active in advocating for federal action on this subject.

Finally, Stanford has engaged in the legal process on other issues important to our international and immigrant communities, joining several amicus briefs challenging the federal administration’s travel bans and decision to rescind DACA. See the University Statements page for more information on these actions.

View more information on the university’s advocacy efforts.