The Flourish, December 2023
Flourish During the Holidays
The end of the quarter is near but if you find yourself feeling anything but cheer, know you are not alone! You may find yourself wrapped up in the challenges that the end of the quarter and holidays may bring. Take a moment to be present and proud of all that you have already accomplished.
To help you navigate this time of the year more mindfully, this month’s edition provides effective strategies for managing holiday stress, maintaining mental well-being, and coping with loneliness. Discover ways to relax and rejuvenate by reading about how to care for yourself over break, explore student tips and advice for conquering the end of the quarter, and learn about resources available for FLI students. We hope this edition fills you with the same joy we had curating it for you!
Embracing FLI-mily: The Many Forms Family and Home Can Take
As the quarter comes to an end, financial and family-related stress over holidays and returning home can emerge for first-generation and/or low-income students. If this is your first time returning home from college, you might find yourself feeling out of place as you leave Stanford. Know there are resources to help close the financial gap, and individual practices to help redefine what home means to you.
What's Flourishing This Month?
Upcoming Events, Programs, and Workshops
(U) = Open to undergraduate students (G) = Open to graduate students (P) = Open to postdocs
- Rooted! Black Graduate Student Support Group - Monday, December 4 from 2:30pm - 3:30pm. This support group is for Black-identified Stanford graduate students that is designed to be a confidential space for students to speak their minds, build community, rest, connect with themselves, and learn coping skills for managing graduate life at Stanford. How to access: Call CAPS at 650.723.3785 or message your therapist at CAPS. (G)
- Eating Disorder Recovery Holiday Workshop - Monday, December 4 from 3pm - 4:30pm. Explore how to support growing your positive relationship with food and body during the holidays. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Seeking Safety - Tuesday, December 5 from 2pm - 3:15pm. Skill-based group appropriate for anyone who experiences difficulty with emotion regulation, impulsivity, and unhealthy coping behaviors that interfere with their ability to function in school and relationships. Being “safe” means managing emotions and taking care of yourself in adaptive ways. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Let's Talk Series: Communication - Wednesday, December 6 from 3pm-4pm. This educational workshop series will explore how individuals show up in different spaces with different people. The final workshop will be on Wednesday, December 6 and will focus on developing skills to nourish interpersonal relationships. How to access: This group will be in-person at the FLI Student Success Center in Old Union. Register for the session. Drop-ins are welcome! (U)
- Yoga and Guided Meditation - Mondays to Thursdays from 5:30pm-6:30pm. Join us for weekly opportunities at the CIRCLE to engage with others in the community for meditation and yoga. Sessions are free and open to Stanford affiliates. Please bring your own yoga mat for yoga sessions. How to access: These sessions will be in-person at CIRCLE Sanctuary (Old Union, 3rd floor, Room 308). No pre-registration is required. (U)(G)(P)
- Stanford Living Education Winter Courses - Enrollment is now open! Stanford Living Education offers courses to educate the whole student to live, lead, and create a flourishing world for all. Explore a full list of courses for the winter quarter. How to access: Enroll through Explore Courses using the WELLNESS, LEAD, or LIFE prefixes. (U)(G)
- LEAD 127B Winter Intensive Course - Enrollment is now open! Are you interested in bringing people together in support of social change and building leadership skills? Take LEAD 127B/URBANST 127B: Leadership, Organizing, and Action Intensive next quarter! How to access: This course will be held on January 12-14 and January 19-21, 2024. Enroll through Explore Courses. (U)(G)
- YWCA @ Stanford Survivor Support Group - Sign up today! The YWCA supports survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and/or human trafficking. The support group will run for 8 weeks and will offer a space for survivors of sexual and intimate partner violence in the Stanford community to connect and heal. How to access: This group will begin on January 16, 2024. The location and time is subject to change based on the availability of the group. This group will follow a closed format, meaning that after the first week, they will not accept additional members. Sign up today! (U)(G)(P)
For additional upcoming events, check out the Office of Student Engagement