The Flourish, November 2023
Balance, Books, and Burnout
As the quarter progresses, you may find yourself feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, or lost. Know you are not alone in these feelings, even if it feels like everyone else around you is thriving. With time and some helpful strategies, you can begin to manage these feelings and flourish through the quarter.
Check out this month's edition to discover what strategies work for you. Learn tips for coping with homesickness and loneliness, and how to practice gratitude for a better mindset when facing challenges. Read student stories on managing burnout. Discover a NEW resource to support your medical and mental health needs. We hope this edition helps you to find balance, brings joy into your life, and prevents burnout.
New TimelyCare Option for Students
TimelyCare is a virtual medical and mental health care service that is available to any enrolled students, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. This service is paid for by Vaden Health Services and offered as a supplement to the extensive existing in-person and virtual services offered by Counseling and Psychological Services, Vaden Medical Services, and other Vaden and on-campus resources.
What's Flourishing This Month?
Upcoming Events, Programs, and Workshops
(U) = Open to undergraduate students (G) = Open to graduate students (P) = Open to postdocs
- Journeying - Wednesday, November 1 from 4pm-5pm (11/1, 11/2, 11/7). Brought to you by QSR, CAPS & Weiland, Journeying is a brave space where you can meet, connect, and build community! How to access: These sessions will be in-person at QSpot. No RSVP necessary! (U)(G)
- Student Grief and Loss Gathering - Wednesdays at 4pm (11/1, 11/15). If you are currently or have ever experienced the death of a significant person in your life, or are experiencing feelings of grief in a time of uncertainty, this is an opportunity to share your experiences with others in a safe environment. How to access: These sessions will be in-person at CIRCLE Common Room (Old Union, 3rd floor). No pre-registration is required. (U)(G)(P)
- SOM BIPOC Student Support Group - Thursdays from 8:30am - 9:30am (11/2, 11/9). This is a 5-session, student-lead virtual support group for School of Medicine BIPOC students, with 2 MHT clinicians serving as host facilitators. Students will build tools to cope with academic and professional stressors, anxiety, issues rooted in systemic oppression, decrease impostor phenomenon, and process other student lead topics. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (G)
- Anxiety Toolbox Workshop - Multiple dates and times available (11/2, 11/6, 11/8, 11/9, 11/17). Learn how stress and anxiety show up in your body, emotions, thoughts and behaviors, and gain skills to lower anxiety in each area. Increase your ability to manage anxious thoughts and develop skills to recognize the role of systems of oppression and conditioning in anxiety. How to access: Call CAPS at 650.723.3785 or message your therapist at CAPS. (U)(G)
- QTrees - Thursdays from 11am - 12pm (11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/30). QTrees is a process/support group for LGBTQIA+ undergraduate and graduate students at Stanford. Join us to connect with other LGBTQIA+ to process and support each other around your identity and how that may impact your experience. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Action Plan for Mental Health Group - Thursdays from 12pm - 1pm (11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/30). Do you find that mental health issues make it difficult for you to thrive at Stanford? Developing an Action Plan for Mental Health helps identify feelings and behaviors, and triggers that threaten well-being, while building a toolbox of coping strategies, and other supports. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Meditation for Mental Wellness - Mondays from 11am - 12pm (11/6, 11/13). This four-session workshop will introduce you to the practice of mindfulness and meditation to assist you with managing stress and enriching your life. This is an educational class series, led by a CAPS therapist. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Rooted! Black Graduate Student Support Group - Mondays from 2:30pm - 3:30pm (11/6, 11/13, 11/20, 11/27). This support group is for Black-identified Stanford graduate students that is designed to be a confidential space for students to speak their minds, build community, rest, connect with themselves, and learn coping skills for managing graduate life at Stanford. How to access: Call CAPS at 650.723.3785 or message your therapist at CAPS. (G)
- Quick Bytes: Managing Relationships "Up" and 'Down" - Tuesday, November 7 from 12pm - 1pm. In this brief workshop we will explore the many varied relationships you have with your colleagues and discuss basic techniques for effectively handling the complexity of managing “up” and managing “down”. Both are challenging but both are very learnable skills! How to access: This workshop will be in-person at Tresidder Oak West. Register for Quick Bytes. (G)
- Seeking Safety - Tuesdays from 2pm - 3:15pm (11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 11/28). Skill-based group appropriate for anyone who experiences difficulty with emotion regulation, impulsivity, and unhealthy coping behaviors that interfere with their ability to function in school and relationships. Being “safe” means managing emotions and taking care of yourself in adaptive ways. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- Queer Yoga - Thursdays from 5pm-6pm (11/9, 11/16, 11/30). A queer community space of movement, group discussion and reflection time focused on yoga and life beyond. All bodies and identities are welcome! This class will be for all levels of yoga experience and will provide variations for poses and props to meet ALL body needs. Extra mats, blocks, straps, and blankets will be available to borrow! How to access: This group will be in-person outside of Kingscote Gardens (weather permitting). No RSVP necessary. (U)(G)(P)
- Eating Disorder Recovery Holiday Workshop - Monday, November 13 from 3pm - 4:30pm. Explore how to support growing your positive relationship with food and body during the holidays. How to access: Sign up on the Vaden Portal (U)(G)
- The Algorithm - Thursdays from 3:30pm - 5pm (11/16, 11/30). The Algorithm is four in-person sessions created to support BIPOC students with navigating self-view/self-image, including processing internalized messages. How to access: Sign up on the interest form (U)(G)
- Mixtape - Wednesday, November 29 from 3:30pm - 5pm. This is a one-time outreach workshop for BIPOC creatives and creative enthusiasts to engage in their preferred art forms to aid in finding balance in daily life. Participants can expect theme-based guidance as they explore their own experiences. Check out this video for a look into the workshop. How to access: Sign up on the interest form (U)(G)
- Yoga and Guided Meditation - Mondays to Thursdays from 5:30pm-6:30pm. Join us for weekly opportunities at the CIRCLE to engage with others in the community for meditation and yoga. Sessions are free and open to Stanford affiliates. Please bring your own yoga mat for yoga sessions. How to access: These sessions will be in-person at CIRCLE Sanctuary (Old Union, 3rd floor, Room 308). No pre-registration is required. (U)(G)(P)
For additional upcoming events, check out the Office of Student Engagement